Sunday, February 14, 2016

Lentil Soup

Lentil Soup

half an onion chopped medium fine
4 garlic cloves chopped fine
8 large celery stalks chopped medium
1-1/2 cups of shredded carrots
1 can crushed tomatoes - 16 ounces
6 - 8 cups of water
1 bag of lentils - 16 ounces
3 teaspoons of cumin
2 teaspoon of curry
1 teaspoon of dried thyme
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
pinch of red pepper flakes

Saute the onions till translucent, add the garlic and saute another minute, add the celery and 1/8 cup of water and steam with lid on to soften the celery. Stir in the crushed tomatoes and the shredded carrots, add the 6 cups of water and the bag of lentils and then the spices. bring to boil and turn down heat and simmer till lentils are softened and flavors are melded about an hour or so. This makes a huge pot of soup. So I shared some with our neighbors and I also put serving sized portions in baggies and freeze for later. Happy Valentines Day to you all. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

11 comments:

  1. I have to go to my daughter's house for lentils or split peas, and even chick peas. No one here likes them in soup, which is pretty much the only place to find them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne, thanks, I've been looking at the bean packages to see which ones have the most vitamins and lentils, black beans and split peas were some and I think pinto (have to check my cabinet) so I have been concentrating on getting only those.

      Delete
  2. I love lentils, but do leave out the canned tomatoes... too much acid for me. Looks great though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rian, thanks, if you can't handle the acid at the end of the cooking add a teapooon of baking soda and stir till it stops foaming, even works in spaghetti sauce too.

      Delete
    2. Really?
      Never heard of that. Thanks!

      Delete
    3. Hi Rian, thanks, I can't remember where I read that, it might have been from my Antoinette Pope cookbook which was our family book but not sure, I'll have to look it up; I cook from my mind now but I learned from that book. When you add the baking soda it's really quite amazing as the tomatoe sauce bubbles up as if magic or some chemistry experiment but it does show that the soda is really making a difference to the tomatoes. Oh and when I used to can my own tomatoes I remember that the canning book recommended adding a teaspoon of lemon juice to each quart to be sure the acidity was high enough to maintain the safety of the canning process, foods, I guess are more complicated than I often give them credit for in my mind. Anyway I hope you give the soda a try to see if it makes a difference for you as they do add quite a lot to the flavor of so many dishes.

      Delete
  3. Yummo.
    I do love lentils. And chickpeas.
    I would add some cardamon and coriander too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elephant's Child, thanks, will have to try the cardamom and coriander next time. and have never had but canned chickpeas must see how to cook them.

      Delete
  4. Hi Barbara, thanks, was delicious and unusual flavor with curry and cumin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love lentil soup...I love lentil patties...I love lentils! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds delicious. I could use some soup today..... sooo cold out!

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment