Monday, June 29, 2015

Calypso Beans

Regular trips to the farmer's market here in the Blairsville in the Georgia mountains has led me on a quest to learn more about beans of the world. Beans are some of the oldest cultivated plants. Since the beginning of time beans have sustained many cultures. A farmer friend was selling some calypso beans, originally from the Caribbean, so I purchased a few. Holding these beans I feel a kinship with another culture.

Apparently the calypso bean is another bean which when cooked looses it's sharp contrasting color. I won't be able to test this theory since I plan to plant these beans. While researching the calypso bean I found an heirloom bean company which carries many other beans and also many varieties of lentils and peas.

I slipped away from the pottery booth leaving Gary in charge to see what produce I might try this week. I got more purple beans and also half white runner beans, heirloom tomatoes, eggplant and patty pan squash.

This time I cooked the purple beans with slivers of carrots, chopped tomatoes, and white and dark balsamic vinegar's. More and more I find myself leaning toward a more vegetarian diet. I can't seem to get enough fresh produce. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

7 comments:

  1. Yummo. Definitely yummo.
    And when the produce is this fresh, it is hard to go past a vegetarian diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue, thanks, yes I am so glad the fresh produce is finally coming in, the summer's here with the farmer's market cant' be beat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you. I eat very little meat; I never eat beef or chicken and only perhaps a one by three inch strip from a pork chop. I never miss an opportunity for bacon, however.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joanne, thanks, everything is better with bacon, we eat mostly seafood and sometimes a little chicken rarely bacon although I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you like beans you don’t need meat, it’s better protein. Besides, you know you can find a delicious veggie recipe on my blog every Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lori, thanks, yes I do and not too long ago I got some spaghetti squash from reading about it on your blog. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love beans of all varieties. Calypso beans are a hybrid of kidney beans. I've not seen them here, but that doesn't mean they're not available down this way. I'll have a look next time I'm at the supermarket.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment