Friday, January 30, 2015

Savory Butternut Squash

Unfortunately I forgot to take a photo after the savory butternut squash was cooked. After taking one bite of the finished squash all my thoughts of a photo were forgotten. Here's the squash just before I put it in the oven for the second time.

Start out by slicing the squash in half, scoop out the seeds and place squash in a bath of water in a baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with nutmeg. Bake at 350 F for about 40 minutes. Leave the oven on because you're going to put it back in again briefly. I tried to scoop the squash out of the skin and keep the skin but I had no luck so I just tossed the skin.

While the squash was baking I sauteed 1/4 red onion chopped fine and a 1/2 inch cube of ginger chopped fine with butter, sage, thyme, a dash of white balsamic vinegar and two tablespoons of sugar, white or brown.

After you scoop the squash out of the skin, chop it up a bit. Discard the water n the baking dish, rub with olive oil to coat surface and put the chopped squash back in the baking dish. Drizzle the onion ginger mixture over the top, then sprinkle with some goat cheese and top with some shredded or flaked parmesan cheeses. Bake again at 350 F till mixture is warm and cheeses are melted.

I need to get more butternut squash because I plan to make this savory butternut squash again. The good thing about butternut squash is that it keeps for weeks just sitting around on the kitchen counter or in your vegetable storage area. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

8 comments:

  1. That sounds really good, I think I’ll try making it this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori, thanks, takes a while to back twice but worth it in taste for sure.

      Delete
  2. Butternut squash is one of my favorites. I can't believe how expensive it has gotten over the last couple of years. I think the two squash that I bought for Thanksgiving were over $8 (combined price).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michele, thanks, wow that is expensive. might be worth it to grow some winter squash since it keeps so long. that candy roaster was $10 but it gave me six or seven meals so not bad.

      Delete
  3. Yum. We call them pumpkin over here - and I never met a pumpkin I didn't like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, they are all good and so unusual that they keep so fresh under that thin skin.

      Delete
  4. My wife introduced me to butternut squash. I'll have to send this to her :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Keith, thanks, oh this is a delicious way to serve it as a side or a complete meal.

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment